Monday, August 10, 2009

monsieur le coq

a grizzly old cock appears in my peripheral vision as I bike along the quai Jemmapes discovering the location of the EXACOMPTA plant for supplying generations of writers and reluctant students with fine notebooks and sturdy paper goods...
he is not the proudest of rooster, what being overweight with a featherless paunch and his bits hanging out unobtrusively... there is a certain quirkiness about him though that sets him apart from some other animal depictions I have come across on parisian walls...
the loud-crowing symbol of the french state somewhat plucked and bloated but still holding his head up high [and with his manhood intact!]...

[thanks to Adam for letting me know the name of the artist - BONOM... there is a flickr photo pool of his work and Adam also wrote a piece a while ago on a church near the Bastille that featured an ammonite fossil by Bonom on the spire]

2 comments:

Adam said...

I learnt yesterday after receiving a message from one of my readers that the artist who did this (and many other animals around the city) is called Bonom and is Belgian!

Gina V said...

Thanks, Adam for the tip...I googled Bonom and there is a huge Flickr photo pool of his work! Looks like he painted the ammonite fossil on the church steeple that you had written about as well...